Home Forums Miracle Class @ Shotwick Lake Miracle New Build

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Christopher J Harris 5 years ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Geoff Weir
    Participant

Miracle 4062 New Build

Pictures… pictures…. we want pictures!!!!

Maybe for the ‘technical’ forum, but probably the expertise lies here.
    I have read that older round masts like mine should have spreaders to prevent problems with mast rake and lean (which I may have). Do you agree? Should I fit spreaders?
    Many thanks
    Chris

Geoff Weir
    Participant

From January 1988 spreaders of a rigid type, but adjustable when off the water, were allowed to be fitted for mast strengthening, they are not intended to be used for boat tuning. Round masts of Holt design were in use at the time.
    The reason for modification was to avoid mast breakage at the deck gate when running with spinnaker. If a gust hits the boat or a wave causes slow down, inversion of the mast could take place, hence a fracture. Fitment was also considered to be a safety aspect so avoiding personal injury.
    The new oval stiffer type of mast also is fitted with spreaders.
    I think you should fit spreaders.
    Geoff.

Many thanks Geoff, much appreciated. Out with the Black and Decker it is 😉

Hi,
    Apologies for being a nuisance. Spreaders obtained. Could you give me a measurement from the masthead or deck for them? I have the ‘tuning guide’ information for the angles and measurements, but it gives nothing on the placement. I do not have black bands, so measurement needs to be from an end of the stick.
    Many thanks
    Chris

Geoff Weir
    Participant

Hello Chris,
    From Mast Step to spreader bracket centre 2670 mm, there is no + or – tolerance.
    Mast head black band max 10mm wide. Mast Step to lower edge of the black band 5715 mm.
    Mast Step to top edge of lower black band 990 mm.
    Anytime Chris it is good to communicate.
    Geoff.

Many thanks Geoff. Much appreciated; see you on the water soon.
    Chris

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.